From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:05:12 -0700
>      What causes might lead the power supply connector (+5V pins
>only) to overheat to this extent?

--- an under powered power supply
--- dirt or corrosion on the connector which produces a hot spot.
-- a bad motherboard power regulator, drawing too much power

Whenever electrical components, be it a strand of wire, or a chip, meet too
much resistance, and run inefficiently, they heat up.

>Based on what I have described, is there a chance that such a measure
>could work, and what risks are there?

I have had this problem, and got my board up, and running again... for
awhile. However, if on-board components are damaged you may be putting
peripherals at risk. Given the price of motherboards, these days, it isn't
worth the time, or risk, to try, and fix this. You will never really be
able to trust the board again.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/