From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:34:00 -0700
"Jose E. Dominguez" wrote:
>I'll set it at 600MB. A client has got this particular problem
> and I'm hoping a fixed swap might help.

While I was out walking around, I started thinking about your clients
problem. In all of the searching I did on the issue, I wasn't able to
find anything conclusive. Their may be a few things to check though.
They may be remote however a shot in the dark sometimes corrects some
problems.

In Microsoft's article Q239094 it doesn't pertain to your problem but
there was something to note in it that caused me to think about checking
my own system. It stated in part that, "if the Win386.swp file located
in the Windows folder has its file attributes set to read only.Windows
uses the Win386.swp file to create virtual memory." It then goes on to
say, "Clear the Read Only Check mark."

In another article (Q128327) dealing with virtual memory management, it
states that "other applications may reduce the amount of virtual memory
below that needed by Windows and its applications."

The suggestions are remote and may not have any bearing nor help resolve
the issue. You didn't say if the client received any error messages
prior to the system shutting down or rebooting?

I empathize with the frustration due to the fact it means a data loss
when this happens.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers