From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:01:37 -0500
The Voodoo2 series of video cards are 3D only cards.  They still rely on the
original video card to provide the 2D used with non-game applications.  The
Banshee was the first 3dfx series of cards that offered both 3D and 2D, and
subsequent voodoo3 and newer voodoo cards have followed this combined 2D/3D
path, as well.  So, Leigh needs to keep his onboard video enabled with his
voodoo2.

Having only 4mb of memory for the built in video doesn't really "slow things
down".  It is more a factor in terms of how high a resolution can be
achieved (and with what color depth).  So, whether this is of concern really
depends on how large the monitor is or what it's capability is.   Since 4mb
will get you 1024x768x16.7million colors, this is probably adequate for most
purposes on monitors up to about 17".

Another issue, not related to the amount of memory, is whether the refresh
rate is high enough to avoid flicker at the higher resolutions.  This will
depend on the capability of the onboard video chip and the monitor you are
using.

As an aside on PCI vs AGP video cards, the advantages of AGP over PCI I
think are a bit overstated.  3dfx cards,  for example really make no use of
the AGP features, though they are offered as AGP cards, since this has
become the standard.  In fact, 3dfx also offered their voodoo3 (and I think
newer cards as well) in a PCI option.

My general understanding was that AGP seemed like a great idea when memory
prices were high, since it allows the video card to share the system memory,
should it need the extra memory space.  However, with the falling cost of
memory, its made more sense to just add memory to the video card, since this
will always be a faster solution than having to go through the AGP bus to
the system memory.  With up to 64mb of memory on modern video cards, its
obvious that the idea has been to avoid making use of any system memory for
3D graphics rendering.

Perhaps there are some secondary advantages to AGP over PCI, but they are
less likely to have a big impact on performance.  The main factor will be
the quality and capability of the video card itself.

John