From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:29:03 -0800
On 19 Nov 98 at 23:53, Mark Rode wrote:

> The solution is to reset the motherboard so it fits in the case
> correctly and puts your cards at the correct level. If you send it
> back this is what they will do.  As a quick temporary fix you could
> probably use washers and longer screws as a spacer that will allow
> your cards to seat correctly and also allow you to tighten the
> screws down.

  The motherboard has about 6-10 holes in it for mounting hardware.
Odds are that most of these will have plastic "standoffs" in them
which are free to move a little.  But there should be at least one
SCREW through the motherboard into a post under the board.  It's
often in the area between the slot connectors and the back edge of
the board.
  If there were two of these screws, the board would be pretty
rigidly locked in place -- which in some circumstances is not
necessarily a good thing.  But if there's only one screw, it may be
possible for a jolt to "twist" the board around that point.  So what
I would do is loosen that screw, maybe half a turn or so, wiggle the
board to get it into the right alignment, and tighten the screw
again.  If I were really brave, and had a long screwdriver handy, I'd
re-insert the cards and screw them down before tightening the screw.
[You want the machine UNPLUGGED for this, and you'd prefer not to
touch any of the cards with the screwdriver; you might prefer to have
someone else do this....]

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html