From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 23:49:58 -0500
Bev:

The some VX chipset motherboards had trouble recognizing SDRAM larger than
16MB. Some VX motherboards could go to 32MB if the DIMMs were double-sided
(with 16 memory-chips). Check your motherboard manual for supported DIMM
types and sizes.

VX chipset motherboards also had problems with SDRAM modules with SPD-EEPROM.

There may also be a voltage problem. Perhaps your motherboard uses 5 volt
DIMMs. And, as Tom said, your motherboard may require EDO or fast page DIMMs.

VX was a "value" chipset of an older technology (Pentium P54C) when
synchronous RAM, lower voltages and systems with 64MB+ were being
introduced. The TX chipset was the VX's replacement but Intel wanted the
line to die off so people would migrate to P-II.

You may have to set a motherboard jumper to recognize your DIMM. The
motherboard manual (or the maker's website) should be able to guide you.

Good luck.

John Chin

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com