From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:15:38 -0400
HI,

Whe you ran the restoration disk, you should have been asked if you
wanted to delete the existing partition and install a new "fresh" copy.
That would have been the way to do it.  Installing another version with
out doing so just puts the files elsewhere and as you say takes up more
space.

I would say you still have the virus on the hard drive, now you probably
can't tell which partition it's in.

I would run the disk again and look for choices that wil let you remove
the old partitions.  If you can't, get a copy of
Delpart.exe and it will allow you to delete the partitions, then install
the restoration disk to the blank drive.

Yes you will loose all the files your sister created, if you have not
backed them up to other location or media

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore

My sisters computer recently had a virus and wouldn't let me do anything
to get rid of it or to even run a virus scan.  I used her restoration
disk and re-installed WinXP and all of the componets for her computer.
This worked ok, but when the computer is started it askes which
operating system to use.  They are both the same.  I would like to
remove one so that it isn't taking up so much space on her hard drive.
How do I know which one is which and how do I do this without screwing
everything up?  Is it possible that the virus is still on her computer
in one of the operating systems and that Norton just didn't pick it up?

I've never had to restore my own system due to a virus and I don't want
to mess it up and have to redo everything that I have already done.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>