From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:25:49 -0400
I would turn the computer off normally, (not really necessary
for a serial mouse, but a good habit to get in to...)
Then disconnect the mouse cable at the back of the computer.
Look at the pins in the socket on the case and see if any are
dirty, bent and/or broken...  (If bent, carefully try to straighten them...)
You should see nine pins...
Just putting the plug on and off a number of times "might" clean
any corrosion and/or dirt on the pins.

If possible, try a different mouse.  I have had this problem over
the years and sometimes a cheap mouse will work better than
"expensive" ones...  (I have had compatibility problems with both
cheap and good mice...)

Does this problem happen when you are running ONLY certain
programs(?), or is it random?

Is this a plain, "generic type", two or three button mouse?
(With or with-out a small scroll wheel...)

                                            Rick Glazier

From: "Vern Plumlee" <[log in to unmask]>
> Have been trying to help a friend with a new HP XP Home
> based computer and her mouse arbitrarily goes all over the
> place. If I shake the mouse back and forth then go to where
> I want to be, it will work. But, not consistently. Is there something
> I am missing. TIA, Vern.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml