From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2015 18:19:59 -0700
At the beginning of this year I tried running Elementry0 which is a
Ubuntu distro, on my laptop = Thinkpad . I liked it a lot for basic
web and email use, and wished I could of kept it, but I had constant
never ending wifi failures. I even tried changing out the adaptor to
a PMCIA, and then a USB adaptor. Nothing made any difference. After
months of this I finally wiped the drive and went back to Win7. I
think it is something about the build that needs fixing.

At 09:36 AM 9/8/2015, you wrote:
>   I have a main desktop machine at home, which originally came with
> Win 7 Ultimate.  I partitioned the main hard drive and installed
> Ubuntu, and that's where I read my email.  The machine is
> about  years old now, and thanks to software updates it is now
> running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 14.04.   Rather than string long
> Ethernet cables all around my apartment, I use a USB wifi adapter
> to connect to the wifi provided by my DSL router in another
> room.   Ubuntu seems to drop and reestablish the connection
> randomly.  At least, it usually reestablishes it eventually.   I
> don't think I've seen Windows drop he connection, ever.  And in
> fact, any time that Ubuntu seems to have trouble reconnecting, all
> I have to do is boot into Windows to get a good connection, which
> persists when I boot back into Ubuntu.   My guess is that the
> Windows driver for the adapter is smarter than whatever driver
> Ubuntu is using; perhaps (a) lying to me about intermittent drops?
> and/or (b) resetting the adapter on boot in ways that Ubuntu
> doesn't.   Can anyone suggest ways to improve the reliability of my
> connection while Ubuntu is running? David Gillett CISSP CCNP

                          PCSOFT's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>