From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 06:22:33 -0500
-----Original Message-----

Date:    Wed, 5 Nov 2008 23:49:28 -0500
From:    Jesse Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: HP 9100 Photosmart Printer Wastes Ink

They dry really quickly when not used

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 Nov 2008 10:06:09 -0500
From:    Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>

My wife was buying too many Inkjet carts from lack of use.*
I managed to steal her B+W Laser printer to FORCE her to
use the InkJet more (as in always.)
It is a pretty old HP 820Cse, and seems to know the difference
between printing from the one color cart, and the black one.

*Our house tends to be dry.
Our family Lawyer has the same exact printer in his basement,
goes away for months at a time, and never has the carts dry out.

                                              Rick Glazier

From: "Jesse Hogan"
> They dry really quickly when not used

Russell Drop
>> I have a Hp C5180 Photosmart printer

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 6 Nov 2008 12:18:35 -0600
From:    Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks, Rick and Jesse!

So, I gather that you both are suggesting that we print a test page every
week or so, just to keep the cartridges plugged with ink
somehow?

I'll give that a try.

[ I am a bit skeptical, but I'll yield to your experience.  :)  :)  ]

Dean

From: "Jesse Hogan"

Date:    Tue, 4 Nov 2008 21:45:58 -0600
From:    Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: HP 9100 Photosmart Printer Wastes Ink

One of the reasons that I purchased my HP 9100 printer at $400 was that it
used separate ink cartridges, so I thought that I might
save money over the long run.  It has five colors plus black, six separate
cartridges in all.

As it turns out, I use it very little for color printing on a day-to-day
basis (only after a vacation), so that my only use is to
copy the newspaper crossword puzzle.  I always press "black and white" to
make the copy, not "color."  However, over a reasonably
short time, the color ink cartridges go empty!  They are quite expensive to
replace for the measly amount of ink that is in them and
considering that I do not copy in color.  Sure, I can afford it, but it is
an irritation.

Does anyone know why this printer uses color ink even though I tell it to
make a black and white copy?  Is there a way to fix this?

TIA,

Dean Kukral

------------------------------

Although I don't have the same printer as you Rick, I have used several HP
printers in the past (latest one being a DeskJet 5740) and one of the
startup routines the printer does is an "auto clean" of the heads.
Apparently if your printer has been off (I use a power saving mode) when it
starts up, it uses a bit of ink from each tank to self clean the print
heads. I Googled the 'net to find something (and now I'm kicking myself for
not 'bookmarking' it) and at least one site explained the auto cleaning
issue - although it described a 9120. (similar?)

Also, I have only been able to find varying descriptions of what constitutes
"black ink printing". Some have descibed HP as using just the black ink
tank, others say it uses a compilation of all the inks (probably your case).

I'm guessing you have already tried adjusting print settings to use a
minimal amount of ink. Will the printer print "black only" if all of the
other ink tanks are physically out of the printer?

The only links I can find are these which direct you to different sites and
their reviews. sorry.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/pr-Hewlett_Packard_Officejet_9110_Thermal_In
kjet_Printer

http://alatest.com/user-reviews/printer-reviews/hp-officejet-9120/pu3-347866