From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 07:05:48 -0600
At 09:26 PM 8/5/99 , Gina Hunkins wrote:

>I am installing a 56K LT chipset Wisecom modem for a client.  I am receiving a port
>already open message on check in Modem Properties through control panel in Win95.  Also,
>in system properties, the window hangs on attempting to view modem resources.  IRQ
>settings show that modem is using Com3, IRQ 11, a shared resource.  Modem literature
>says set for COM3 IRQ5 or COM4, IRQ3, but I cant change settings.  Modem is PNP and
>jumperless.  I've tried to install to separate, but identical, modems.  Original modem
>died following what may have been an electrical surge during a thunderstorm.    Any
>ideas?  Thanks tons.

You should change the IRQ for your modem and in Windows95 it takes a little
finesse.  Go to Control Panel/System/Device Manager.   FInd the driver for
your modem and bring up the properties box.   Click on the Resources tab.

Now, uncheck the "Use Automatic Settings" box.  Then, change the
"Basic Configuration 0000" to "Basic Configuration 0001"
You should be able to double click on the IRQ and change it at this point.
You typically cannot change the IRQ while it is set to Basic Configuration 0000
in Windows95.   Once you have changed the IRQ to 5, see if you can now open
the port in your modem area of the Control Panel.

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: