From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 06:39:26 -0400
Most motherboards will shutdown the onboard video or sound when a video or sound card is installed.  Does the mobo have an AGP video card slot (usually the first one at the top of all slots and a different color than the PCI slots), or are there only PCI slots?  I would try making sure the card is properly seated in the slot because it ought to automatically kill the onboard when it is.  If there is an AGP slot, try an AGP card.

>Hey all-
>
>I'm helping a friend get a video card going <I use this term loosely at this point).  The PC is a Compaq 5000us.  As per usual, the woman has no manual & HP is no help, once again.
>
>There is no setting within the limited BIOS to disable the onboard.  I tried uninstalling it, shutting down, installing the new card & rebooting.
>
>Worked fine- once.  Next start-up only one long, one short beep- black screen.  Code points to BIOS something or other.  I moved the jumper over & back.  It again fired up OK- two times this time.  Now it's back to the beeps.
>
>I tried it in all the slots.  Same thing.
>
>Very frustrating as it does work.  I noticed that the onboard adapter pops back up in display adapter- so I tagged it as "disabled in this profile"- no go.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml