From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 23:02:54 +0200
Hello Uzi,

Sunday, August 29, 1999, 4:01:06 PM, you wrote:

UP> Would it be correct to say that it is important that the monitor will
UP> support high refresh rates because setting a lower refresh rate will
UP> cause the human eye to become more exhausted from watching the
UP> screen?

    You can't say any better than this.

UP> In other words, what is the advance of higher refresh rate from the point
UP> of the user?
    The advantage (I think this is what you meant by "advance") of high
  refresh rate is much reduced flickering of the screen.
    The net benefit usually is that one can sit longer staring at the
  screen without his eyes getting tired -- thus working more
  productively.

** What is the best R.R?

  People are not all the same, and the flickering that is driving one
mad will not affect another. For me, values below 50 Hz are really
bad; 60-80 Hz is noticeable; over 80 I can't detect the flicker, so I
keep my MAG DJ530 on 100 Hz (you can try looking from the corner of
the eye to detect flicker). Your experience will probably be
different, but it seems that 85 Hz is a common acceptable minimum.

** Dangers of changing the R.R from the default

  But, from the other point of view, the higher the R.R. the more times
video-card will have to make the picture for the monitor. This can
lead to added heat, and if the heat is a problem, you might want to
stay at 85 Hz or less.
  Remember also that monitors have their limits, different for every
resolution. Before you do any change, you should consult the manual
for the monitor and the card to determine common settings.

Setting bad value will simply cause the picture to disappear on
state-of-the-art monitors - their circuitry will detect the "out of
range" value. With older screens, however, you can't be sure - they
have no protection vs. wrong settings, and using bad values on them
could damage the CRT or other components inside.

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
| (ICQ) 238-6792