From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:57:32 -0500
Hi, greetings to all,

Q:- is it possible for win xp pro with sp2 to install itself well without the keyboard being connected?

I am asking this because I went through a delete (the HDD had win98se)/partition (out of total capacity 7gig i partitioned 4999 mb in NTFS)/format/install operation with win xp pro with sp2 cd.

the whole process went through very smoothly and i was able to shut/cold reboot
a number of times without any hitch.

when the time came to config my adsl connection and i needed to type the user name and password i found that my keyboard was not functional!!!!

device manager does not show any keyboard!!!

controlpanel/printers and other hardware/keyboard/hard ware shows a blank box under "name"!!!

the most surprising part is that during the installation process I was able to type out the win xp pro keys,  the "administrator" password and reconfirm and also type out the names of other persons  who will use the computer to enable personalised settings. so i have to believe that i have not forgotten to connect the keyboard!!!

from the sequence of events i can only say that the problem cropped after installation of my adsl modem (there were a couple of hitches here with win xp and the "auto open adsl modem user cd" competing with each other to install and i had to reboot a couple of times to get the modem installed. it is a USB MODEM.

the mobo is a very ancient "pc partner make with intel chipset" and the key board is connected through a thick 5 male pin adapter to it's counterpart fixed to the mobo.

i have checked the connection very throughly and see nothing wrong unless someting has gone bust inside the adapter or the mobo circuitry for this portion.

the keyboard is fine and i am typing from that now.

Q-2:-- in this situation i am not able to access the bios because it is not detecting the "del" press. i am also not getting any error msg about the keyboard during "post "

in frustration i reset the bios by taking out the jumper for a couple of seconds and now i am getting checksum error/ f1 to resume with defaults or "del" for set up and no input is possible.

sorry for the long post but any input will be gratefully accepted and appreciated.

good day to all ---Venkat

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com