From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 11:07:48 -0700
On 24 Apr 2003, at 11:39, Will Stephenson wrote:

> I am in the process of researching the best broadband access for a
> client. When they chose who to go with, they will have me set it up for
> them. Right now, 8 computers share a dial-up account on the Windows 2000
> server. My basic plan is to attach the broadband modem (either cable or
> ADSL) to the server. My thought is that the clients will not have to
> change any of their settings, as they connect to the internet now
> through the LAN. (If anyone sees problems with my thought process here
> or anywhere, please let me know...).
>
> My question(s) revolve around the server: are there any gotchas
> associated with adding a broadband modem to the server? Any different
> services that would have to be enabled? Any issues concerning
> addressing? (TCP/IP protocol is used internally).

  It is certainly *possible* to replace the dial-up connection with a
broadband connection, and stay with your current solution for everything
else.

  But you may have noticed a couple of limitations in the current approach:
clients cannot currently connect unless the server is running and connected,
and heavy client use may affect performance of other server functions.  You
might want to take advantage of this opportunity to correct those problems.

  Presumably there is already some kind of network which links the clients
and the server.  Assuming for the moment that this uses a switch or hub (if
it uses older co-ax technology then this will involve purchasing a switch or
hub, and possibly replacing some NIC cards...), then installing a small
router between the broadband connection and the switch/hub will allow the
clients to connect to the Internet without relying on the server.

David Gillett