From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:20:25 -0500
Mixed in:

From: "Amy Ledford"
>Neither of us have tried to install our
> WinXP HDs in the original PC. (I'm a little skerred
> to!)

Depending on the type of Windows Activation type used with
the XP version on the original "XP" computer (YMMV),
if you move an XP HD to a different machine it WILL (likely?)
become un-activated -- (YMMV, there are several Activation systems).
You may have to get re-activated with MS when you put that
XP-HD back into the original XP machine...
There are "minor" exceptions to that, but MS did its best to keep
people from doing this exact thing...

> What are the chances of both HDs going bad
> suddenly?!

Unless there was some sort of power surge or some other "like"
common event, very slight.  It is more likely a problem with the cables,
the BIOS HD setup settings (for the HDs, or ports), or the jumpers.
OR even a low level "fight" between the drives...

Try re-setting the jumpers and use ONLY the old drive connected that
you think are "broken", and one at a time.  Don't try to boot from them...
Boot with a floppy and see what you can "find" on those old HDs, or try
to see how they are formatted etc.
The list can give more instructions about that, but lots more info is likely
required to start something like this in more depth...
Are the FAT32 drives?, etc.. If they are NTFS you need different things...
Be careful about what HDs are hooked up when messing with this type
of stuff since sometimes the LETTERS can and will change and the HD
you are working on might NOT be the one you think it is...
(This is why you test them one at a time...)
After you see if the HDs works seperately, you will "generally" need to
re-jumper them to add others, etc, depending on the types of jumper
settings you used "originally" like CS, or Master or Slave. Not all older
drives support CS, and some older drives will not work with drives of
different manufacturers.

Sorry for all the "tap dancing", but this is a type of "in your face" problem
that needs to be tried in person by someone that is very experienced with
HD compatability problems and HD set-up in general...
There are so many exceptions and possible combinations, it is not an easy
subject for e-mail...  ;-(

                                       Rick Glazier

--

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,