From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 21:55:09 -0400
Go to start/run and type in "sfc" without the quotes.  Run system file checker (sfc) to see if you have changed, corrupted or deleted files. You can replace the explorer file using this utility as well.

Also, go to www.ontrack.com and see if they still have a free version of Powerdesk 4 or 5.  Even the free version is geometrically better as a file manager than Windows Explorer.  I have not used Windows Explorer on any computer since 1997.  I use the free version of PD4 on my work computer rather than Win Expl. If you own any Mijenix (now Ontrack) applications, you can get PD5 pro as a download for $19.95.

>I need some advice, I have added a new HD to a PIII machine.
>Installed W98SE from CD after all the HD prep work.
>
>Problem any time the OS attempts to open windows explorer I
>receive an error stating Explorer has caused a fault and must close.
>I can open explorer on my own, but the OS cannot. Particularly
>frustrating is the OS will not open control panel.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml