From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:04:20 -0500
My post of Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:26 AM

<<<< Hi all members,

I have both EVERESET AT HOME and BELARC ADVISOR.

(1)everest shows my CPU as:-intel pentium 4 2400 Mhz (18x133)

(2)belarc shows :-2.4 Ghz intel pentium 4.

what I have is CELERON D 2.4 Ghz.(I know because I bought and installed it)
as far as I know there is a world of difference between the two. at least I know
for sure that the P4 is at least 3 times costlier than the celeron.

what I wish to know... is this a fault of the utilities in reading the correct
CPU info or is it by design of intel in coding the info? what happens if someone
palms off a system with celeron as P4 or whatever? or is it because the above
utilities are freeware and paid ones will do a more correct reading?

any input will be gratefully acknowledged

wishing all a veru good day----Venkat>>>>

First i apologise for the delay in reverting to this and thanking John Sproule for his input.

second i also apologise to members, if any, in whose minds i may have caused some uncertainty re. the correctness of the results of "everest at home" and "belarc advisor"

THE RESULTS ARE CORRECT and my "POST" screen and also the utility referred by John Sproule show the same VIZ:- P4-2.4 GIG.

I have figured out the causes. my mobo (asus-p4ge-mx) was giving some problems after a month of purchase and i returned it. I was called and told that there was a minor problem with the bios settings and everything was fine and the mobo was sent back to me.

NOW i do not remember when, but sometime after that, during post it used to scream " WARNING..CPU HAS CHANGED.. PL ENTER BIOS ......

i thought this was some sort of weird msg. and pressed f1 to boot up. the msg kept on coming for a few days and then (i dont remeber when) stopped.

so the only logical explanation is that the asus service have put in a P4-2.4 gig (i do not know why) in place of my celeron D 2.4 GIG and returned the mobo to me!!!!!!.

now i will have to figure out my next step!!!!.

Thanks and good day---Venkat