From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:04:35 -0600
Dan, you probably do not have a "problem" at all.  You most likely
have a variable speed cooling fan on your cpu.  When the cpu is
heavily used, the fan speeds up and may become quite noisy.  Now, if
the noise seems inappropriate ( buzz?), so as to indicate bad fan
bearings, then you might have a fan problem.

I can tell you that my fan is quite loud at boot time.

Dean Kukral, [log in to unmask]

At 08:59 PM 2/23/2006, you wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 02:48:56 -0500, Walter Ermacora <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Just recently I've encountered a short buzzing sound when my
> computer starts up.  When this happens, my computer doesn't
> function properly.  I have a Compaq Deskpro EN, PIII 733Mhz
> computer running on a WIN98SE OS.  I cannot pinpoint the source of
> this problem.  Can someone please help?
> >
> >=========================================================================
>

>I have a similar problem.  I have a relatively new dual core 2.8 Gz
>Pentium 4 which buzzes/whirs very loudly "sometimes" upon startup
>and lasts about 90 seconds.  There appears to be no deleterious
>effect on the ability of the pc to boot or function.  Actually, the
>sound goes away before the boot is finished.
>
>I have switched out the power supply and disconnected all drives and
>fans to verify the noise does not come from one of those.  That
>pretty much leaves the CPU as the culprit.  I'd be interested in
>hearing if anyone else has heard of a similar problem and the resolution.
>
>Dan

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com