From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:16:12 -0800
Ian Porter wrote:
I will try to shed some light on this subject if I can. Choosing a mike in
some respects is easy and on the other side of the coin it can be confusing
and frustrating if you choose the wrong one. The first thing I would look at
is the connection. Not all mikes are created equal. Some have full size
adaptors and others have the Minnie plug. Or is that many? Na

David Gillett wrote a good piece for you on the subject. To go further I
will add the following. Sit at the computer you are going to use to record.
Listen to the sounds in and around the area. If you hear the box fans you
will surely hear thin in your recordings unless you have a mixer to tune
them out. I head set with a boom mike is the way I have things set up. It is
noise canceling and doesn't pick up ambient noise. It serves a duel purpose,
one is for recording whatever and the other is for voice recognition
software.

I have chosen some reading material for you that may help in your decision
making. Bear with me due to the fact some of it may be very obvious and
rudimentary. On the other hand, maybe someone on the list that is looking
too might find the information helpful.

Selecting a Headset Microphone for Personal Use:
http://www.abilityhub.com/ecolumn/2003/may.htm

PC Mus Some of the information may not directly relate to you but is does
explain the difference between Dynamic and Condenser mikes.
http://www.pcmus.com/mics.htm

How to choose a Microphone:
http://www.netyak.com/microphone.htm

This information should give you an idea of what to choose. On the flip
side, the quality of the sound card input will make a big difference too.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers