From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:01:01 -0600
From: "Michael A. Wosnick" :Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Re; ZoneAlarm and networks

> Mary,
>
> I have just pretty much discovered that. I was unable to download or surf
on
> the client computers, even though ZA had already prompted me to reduce my
> Internet security from high to medium upon booting up and finding ICS
> installed.
>
> Question: Given that ICS already provides "protection" in that my
> @home-supplied IP address is no longer the address of any of my computers,
> host or clients (ICS assigns them all 192.168.0.x addresses), how much
more
> security to I need. I have long been a fan of Zone Alarm but am really not
> sure if I still need it or not?
>
> Opinions?
>
> Michael

Michael,

You are partially correct.  The gateway computer has two IP addresses.  One
for the LAN and one for the Ethernet adapter.  The Ethernet adapter has the
IP address assigned from your cable modem provider, the address seen on the
internet, so if someone were to break into your network they would break in
to the gateway computer.  I think I remember that you had your new computer
as the gateway.   I strongly suggest that you go out to Steve Gibson's site:
http:\\grc.com and test your ports on the Shield's Up site.  Also check your
bindings for TCP/IP.  Steve Gibson has a very good tutorial on how to unbind
networking clients, NetBIOS or “Print and File Sharing” services from
theTCP/IP stack.  There is also a good explanation of ports, scanners and
security that you should read.

Fred Langa from Winmag.com also has a 4 part article on Internet Security
that you should read.  It can be found at:
http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/04.htm

I did some checking on Zone Alarm and ICS and I found that some people have
been able to get it to work with ICS and others have not.  Some suggestions:

Uncheck "Load at startup" on Zone Alarm and move a shortcut to the startup
folder, then  Stop and Start ICS after Zone Alarm is running.

Try putting the ISP assigned IP address of the Ethernet adapter on the
gateway computer to the Local Zone.

Try deleting iamdb.rdb and <your computer name>.ldb from the Internet
Logs directory

Zone Alarm can stop all TCP/IP traffic when certain Advanced Power
Management features are enabled.  Try disabling APM.

Another person stated that they could not get Zone alarm to work with ICS
either and they found a free proxy server, "proxy plus", that did work with
Zone Alarm.

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html