From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:31:36 -0600
The VESA slot is also known as a "VLB" or "VESA local bus" slot.  This term
is also applied to the 32-bit cards that fit those slots.  It is preferred
to use the term "VLB" since the term "VESA" could mean several things.  If
he means that it is only a "VESA" video card, this means that the video
card complies with a standard of video modes and resolutions set up some
years ago and could be a 16-bit card that fits a standard ISA slot.  The
way to tell the difference is that the VLB card is longer and has two
different connectors, one that looks just like the ISA connector and one
smaller one at the far end of the card.

Even if your current card only has 1MB of video RAM, the VLB card would be
much faster.  I used to have two 2MB Hercules Dynamite cards, one fit the
ISA slot and one fit the VLB slot.  The VLB card was obviously faster.  In
fact, some games written for the 486 market required a VLB video card for
the extra speed.

In summary, all other things equal, yes, the switch to a VLB card would be
beneficial.  If it is a step down in the amount of video RAM, then you
might reconsider.

----------
> From: Bob Chapel <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] VESA video card
> Date: Monday, November 16, 1998 10:27 PM
>
> You didn't mention what kind of computer your are using.
> I am presuming that it's a 486 if you are considering a VESA card.
> You also didn't mention if you have a VESA slot on your board....if
> you don't then you certainly aren't going to be able to make use of
> the card<g>
>
> > I have a 16-bit Trident VGA 8900CL video card and was
> > wondering what improvments a VESA bus Trident card would give. A
> > friend has this VESA video card with one meg of RAM and is willing
> > to give it to me if I can use it. Would the preformance be worth the
> > swap?

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>