From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 02:39:16 -0800
On 14 Sep 00, at 23:45, Paul Roeth wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had a network card fail and purchased another.  The first one
> was a Kingston 10/100 something or another.  The replacement is a
> Linksys10/100 something or another.  The network is NT.  The
> replacement card is in a Windows'98 workstation.  I took a Kingston
> from another "less used" workstation and replaced it where the card
> had failed.  All works fine with that computer.  With the
> workstation that needed the card (Linksys), I've installed the
> card, installed the adapter, and created the TCP/IP protocol with
> the correct address on the network.  Problem is, I can't see the
> rest of the network from that machine.  I checked and
> double-checked the tcp/ip attributes and they look fine.  There is
> a signal at the rj45s on the back of the workstation and at the
> hub.  I hope there is enough information here for someone to offer
> some help.  My thoughts are that either the card is bad, I haven't
> installed it correctly, or the workstation isn't logging on to the
> server correctly.  If anyone has any troubleshooting ideas I'd
> sure like to hear them.  Incidentally, I don't know anything about
> networking as I am filling in for the administrator who cannot be
> contacted at this time.  All help appreciated.
> TIA
> Paul Roeth

  Can the problem station "ping" other machines on the network?  Can
they "ping" it?  If ping works both ways, maybe it's a login problem
as you say.
  But if ping fails either or both ways, either the tcp/ip attributes
that "look fine" really aren't[*], or there's a problem with
how/where this machine is connected to the rest of the network.
  Is this co-ax or twisted-pair?  If twisted-pair, is there a hub or
a switch -- what brand and model, and what port is the problem PC
plugged into.  Does replacing the cable between the PC and the
hub/switch help?

[*]  I see far too many reports of "my network doesn't work" that
assert that these settings "look fine" but don't say what they are.
Only much later do we get around to learning that no, they weren't
fine after all.
  I don't want to sound like I'm singling you out, Paul, because I'm
not, but I have no way of telling whether the person posting a
problem really knows how to tell if the TCP/IP settings are right or
not.  I'd prefer to see the actual settings, rather than a statement
that they look okay.  Okay?

David G