From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 21:49:38 -0300
First, all your data is still ok.   As soon as you can, run a complete virus
check and run a program like Spybot Search and Destroy to see if something
else may be affecting your system.  Running the system file checker is going
to put 3 year old files back into service, what you should do is run the
utility once in awhile and let it know that you have upgraded the files (and
accept the changed status), only let it replace a file if it is missing or
you know one that is definatly damaged (example: zero bytes).  Start your
computer in safe mode, you will correct the  device errors by clearing the
registry of all hardware and force it to redetect everything fresh.  Go to
the control panel/system/device manager and delete every device you have and
do not reboot till you have tried to delete every listing.  There will be a
couple that will not delete, this is ok.  Now go to the add/remove  programs
section in control panel and uninstall every device that is software
controlled, like a WinModem or onboard sound. Reboot and Windows should
start normally, let it detect and reinstall all your hardware.  Anything you
have on CD like your WinModem and sound drivers will have to wait till the
CD is detected, so you  can skip these detections till later. Your system
should now be stable.  Reinstall your sound and modem from your driver CD
now.  When you can, go to Windows Update and download and  install all the
patches to bring your system up-to-date.  When you run SFC again, you will
see all sorts of changed files, choose to keep these changes this time and
tell the program to update itīs database, this way the next time you run it,
you will see deviations from your 2003 version of Windows 98 and not from
the original 1997-8 CD.  Another program you can run if you find a
configuration has changed suddenly, is to use SCANREG in DOS or ScanregW in
Windows.  You can go back in time for up to 5 days ago of successful
boot-ups, going back to a previous configuration (the day before the
problem!).  You can also use the program to create a backup configuration
before you change a registry setting, for example, and gracefully recover as
if nothing  happened.
I hope this helps.
Howard Rubin
The Computer Doctor
Fortaleza, Brazil
RE:  Date:    Sun, 1 Jun 2003 15:47:17 EDT
From:    Gary W South <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Reinstalled Windows 98 will not start

I have a Packard Bell  300 MHz Pentium II with 96 MB RAM. I was running
Windows 98 which was an upgrade from Windows 95. It was upgraded at least 3
years
ago. I ran the system file checker because it was havivg a couple minor
problems(short cuts not opening programs without rebooting, and I couldn't
get the
modem to connect). File checker replaced a couple corrupt files and replaced
many others with previous versions from my Windows 98 disk. After that
Windows
would not boot. I tried reinstalling Windows 98 several times but it causes
fatal exceptions when it gets to the part of setting up hardware. Sometimes
the
errors were as it was setting up the hardware and other times it  was when
the
computer needed  to restart after setting up the hardware. The following is
one
example of what happened.

When it said it was setting up hardware and plug and play the BLUE SCREEN
came up. It said Windows on top

A fatal exception OE has occured at 015F:BFF9DBA7  The current application
will be terminated. press any key  after pressing a key it said

MSGSRV32 caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE at
0001:000025D6

After these errors sometimes ctrl+alt+del sometimes restarts but usually I
have to turn it off. If it restarts it comes back to the same or similar
problem. I sometimes get other error messages. I can get it started in safe
mode but
it has no sound, and no CD-ROM.

Also I have 3 32 MB RAM chips. I pulled them out and tried one at a time to
see if maybe one of them was bad. It does the same thing with each one or
all
in.

Does anyone have any idea of what is causing these problems and is there a
way to fix it without losing my 5 years of information I have collected?

TIA
Gary South

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>