From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 00:54:31 -0800
Anthony Garvey:

> I have always thought that the CPU should be "last on and first off"
because
> any connected peripherals (monitor, printer, scanner...) might cause a
surge
> as they are activated or deactivated.  If the CPU is turned on last, it is
> less likely to intercept these surges.  Likewise if the CPU is turned off
> first it will miss them again.  Is this correct?

To a small degree you are correct. However, if you were to use an
oscilloscope it would register an instantaneous voltage drop followed
by a spike relatively half the amplitude of the dip.

Meaning, the voltage would drop more than it would rise from powering
up a monitor.

One draw back of a sudden voltage drop is the lag generated in capacitor
circuits which would cause a discharge latency. Without going into further
detail this would be worse than the small monitor induced spike.

With regards to high wattage motor driven devices such as copiers,
you're correct, their spikes would be potentially damaging and should
be powered up before the pc.

Answers to power related questions can be confirmed using
a BMI power quality auditor. In this case, I used a 200Mhz
oscilloscope roughly a decade ago.

-yui shin

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>