From:
Mathew Browning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 20:36:25 -0400
-----Original Message-----

>I am thinking of upgrading my NT4 workstation PC with a AMD K6 233 and up.
>Does anyone know of any  issues with the AMD K6 and NT4 ?

Mark, I run NT Workstation 4.0 w/sp3 on a K6-233 and have no problems to
speak of; although, I will soon be upgrading to a PII.
AMD's are great Win95 and 98 CPU's, (I think even faster than comparable
Pentiums) but the PII's are better NT chips, faster CACHE and better FPU
operations.
I also believe the faster CACHE enables the PII's to handle a pure 32 bit
Operating System better than the K6's.
In fact, if you must run a "Socket 7" chip, you might do better with a
Pent-233MMX than a K6 in WinNT W/S.  The K6 has more L1 CACHE, but even the
newer Socket 7 Pentiums have a better FPU performance rating.
This being said, I have no problems with my K6-233 in WinNT W/S.

HTH. Matt