From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 15:11:37 -0600
rAt 06:06 AM 7/26/98 , Ray Hornung wrote:
>Computer passes the POST and boots from floppy no problem. When trying
>to load software on the CD-ROM I get the following error message:
>
>An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0027A3B in VxD VFAT(01) +
>0000831B.  This was called from 0028:C00281DE in VxD VFAT(01) + 0008ABE.
>
>Is there a place that explains what this means? The HD passes scandisk
>and a surface scan with no problems.  No cards are the computer other
>that the video card.  Any help would be appreciated!

Typically the 0E exception is generated by hardware incompatibility and may
not be symptomatic of a bad CD Rom.   It can be a problem with your CPU,
the Ram or some other hardware issue concerning the motherboard that
becomes more prominent when the CD Rom drive is activated.

Cyrix K6 chips are known to cause this to occur, as well as bad ram or ram that
is set too fast for your motherboard and/or a motherboard that is operating only
marginally.   Often if you are using a Cyrix K6 chip you can bypass this problem
by slowing down the ram in your CMOS settings during the install of of software
and then you can speed it up again after the install is complete.

If you provide us with more information about the actual hardware in your
system we might be able to give you better advice.  Include the CPU,
motherboard, ram and hard drive(s).   Also, what operating system are you
using...  Win95, OSR2, WIn98 or WInNT??

BOB WRIGHT  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD : PCSOFT : PC-MS : VPLANETS
                             PCBLDFAQ : PC-PDA : I-GAMES