From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:04:33 -0500
From: Joan Rapier <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [PCBUILD] SCSI & IDE HDs on same system

> I remember way back trying to get a SCSI and and IDE HD to work together
> on a couple of NT systems.  Couldn't get the combination to work to save
> my life.  I even presented my question at a local user group and was
> told it couldn't be done.  I ended up giving the IDEs to one system and
> SCSIs to the other.
>
> I haven't had occasion to try this combination since but recently the
> topic has cropped up again.  So, can it be done?  Is this BIOS-dependent
> - whether or not a system can support IDE and SCSI hard drives
> simultaneously?
>
> I don't see how the master/slave and drive letter assignments can be
> resolved in this configuration.
>
> TIA for your feedback
>
> Joan

I had a SCSI and EIDE hard drive in the same system working but the Bios
supported selecting booting from IDE or SCSI.  I had to boot from the SCSI
which also requires having a SCSI card with a Bios.  The SCSI bios had to be
enabled to be able to boot from the SCSI hard drive.  I had 2 SCSI UW
drives, a SCSI CDR,  a SCSI CD drive, A SCSI zip, and a SCSI scanner plus
the EIDE hard drive.  Everything worked smoothly.  I had 2 SCSI cards in the
system, an Adaptec 2940 UW (Bios enabled, which I booted from) and an
AdvanSYS for the SCSI external 50 Pin zip and scanner.

Mary Wolden