From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:47:20 -0500
At 13:35 11/13/98 -0800, gary r. tennesen wrote:
>Anyone have a quick, how-to on copying an NTFS IDE to a SCSI?
>Can I drag folders (excluding win386.swp) using Explorer like
>I have done with Win95?
>
>Is there a solution that *does not* involve 3rd party software?

Partition Magic would do it in five minutes. But it's 3rd party
software...

You could download the free DOS/Windows NTFS driver from
<http://www.sysinternals.com/ntfs20.htm>. This is a read only
driver that can be used in DOS 5 or above or loaded in the Win95
autoexec.bat. It will let you read files on an NTFS partition.
Maybe it could be used to copy everything from the NTFS partition
to a new FAT16 partition on your SCSI drive. (Once this is done,
you could change the SCSI drive's partition from FAT16 to NTFS.)
Read the instructions at the Sysinternals website and be careful
about long file names if you run it from DOS. Can you install
Win95 on one of the drives and run NTFS20 from there? That should
solve the LFN problem.

Another possibility:

You could remove the IDE drive (or just disable it in your
computer's BIOS Setup), boot from the SCSI drive, and install
NT4 on the SCSI drive. (** Leave enough unpartitioned space at
the start of the SCSI drive to hold everything that's on the
IDE's NTFS  partition. See below for the reason.)

Then put the IDE drive back in (or reenable it), boot from it,
and add a line in the boot.ini on the IDE drive that points
to the SCSI drive as a second choice to boot NT4. (The boot.ini
on the IDE would have two choices for NT4, one on drive 1 and
a second on drive 2, as well as that VGA only choice.)

**Create a new primary partition on the SCSI drive and format it
as NTFS (or FAT16 if you want).

Boot to the SCSI drive and drag (or copy) everything from the
IDE drive's NTFS partition to the new partition on the SCSI drive.
(Things on the IDE partition should be copyable since they are
not being used...the SCSI drive having been booted from ...and
the system files being on the SCSI drive.)

If you want to do this, we can discuss the details later. (Like
how to edit the boot.ini and add another choice, and how to
fix it after everything is done.)

I have actually done this (although I used PM to copy the files
and not Windows explorer) so it should work.

Regards,
Bill

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]