From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:27:58 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>

>--
>
>On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 22:52:40   Terry Bell wrote:
>>Don't judge too quickly!
>>Go to Dialup Networking Properties/General/Configure/Maximum Speed=?
Some
>>isp's require you to downgrade the top speeds to match their end.
>
>     Are you sure about this? I have NEVER heard of an ISP requiring this
today, there are better ways to restrict top speeds.

Actually, there is no need to restrict the top speed ..... ever.

You should always use the highest available setting. After a modem
"dials", the high pitched squealing that you initially hear is the two
modems trying to determine the maximum speed which they can both use.  So,
in effect, the "top speed" is set dynamically each and every time you
connect.

Except for that one small point, Herbert is right on the money with
everything else he has stated.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html