From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 17:44:05 -0700

Sorry David, but the insides of a 486-era PB machine are highly proprietary.
Your theory holds true for most _standard_ PCs, but Packard Bell is an
animal all to itself.

Most/many PB machines from that era used a proprietary modem with a ribbon
connector to the motherboard.  They are not standard ISA boards.  It is much
more involved than simply exchanging the modem.

And even within PB, there is no "standard".  Depending on the model, there
are several different configurations of hardware and parts layout.