From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:15:17 -0800
Dan,

I have had several cases where the fan on the video card made such noise.
The power supply fan and the CPU fan can also do this. To check which (or
if) fan is making the noise is simple. Just open the case, turn on the
computer and gently stop the suspected fan. The video board or CPU fan can
easily be stopped by placing your finger on the center of the fan. Power
supply fans are trickier and require sticking a soft item such as a straw
through the grill - you don't want to damage the fan blades.

If you identify a bad fan, you can usually fix it by placing some
lubricating oil on the bearing. To do this usually requires removing the fan
and lifting the protective foil label. Hope this helps.

Peter