From:
"Kurr, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 12:56:19 -0500
The fix in this case is PM (preventive maintenance) and tying up some of the
loose (obstructing) cables.  In general, the with/without case issue must be
addressed for each individual system.  In general, modifying the case to
promote proper (adequate) airflow runs cooler than no case, though no case
is almost always a quicker/easier fix.  Overheating will typically damage
surrounding components (such as delaminating the mounting board or degrading
a capacitor) as often as damaging the overheated component.
Martin Kurr
email [log in to unmask]
> From:         Jim Smithheisler[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> Subject:      Re: [PCBUILD] PIII processors
> I have an older Cyrix based p-200 system which runs in a high-dust
> environment. Every 6 months or so the cpu fan dies from an overdose of
> contamination, which of course leads to erratic behaviour and random lock
> ups due to overheating. Removing the case will usually allow the machine
> run for the rest of the day. Not necessarily good practice but there are
> more
> important things to consider than an overheated cpu.
> Main point to this message - this specific computer will run longer, in
> fact
> much longer, without the case than it will with it. Probably because the
> "dead" space between the cpu location and the main fan is filled with flat
> cables and cards which causes more interruption to the "specific" airflow
> over the cpu than the proper installation of the case provides.
        "Why" not important. Keeping the machine working is. :)
> btw: the cpu has been overheated to the point of shutdown at least 30
> times.
> For 6 days straight it ran 12 hours a day with the case off and a desk fan
> pointed at the cpu to keep it going. No detectable permanent damage has
> resulted.
> Jim

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org