Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 09:58:24 -0400
From: Westly Montroos <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 10:14 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] lost cd-rom and cd rw

> Hi,
>
> I have Windows 2000 Pro installed on my computer.
> I use VOB InstantCD/DVD to record my cd.
> I tried to install Roxio 5.0, but this software did
> not see my burner.
> But I noticed I have lost both of my drives.
> I uninstalled Roxio, but I still can't see the drives.
> I tried to uninstall them in Device Manager, but I got
> no result when I restart my machine.
> I don't want to format the machine, because I have to
> backup everything, and I think maybe there is a
> solution for this.
>
> Is there a solution for lost drives?
>
> Westly Montroos.

Similar thing  happened to me few weeks ago and here's what I did...and
since Roxio could not "see" my CDR-W, I did the following:

Un-installed Roxio through Control Panel's Remove/Install Program
Went to Registry (be very careful on this part) and removed any references
to Roxio 5.0 in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE under Software.
Exit and rebooted.

B.
Verified jumper settings-  CDR= (2ndary) Master,  CDR-W= (2ndary Slave)
Re-booted and went to BIOS
Verified BIOS settings and had settings for both CDR & CDR-W  in Auto.
Saved settings.  Exit.  Rebooted.

C.
At Windows desktop:
Went to Control Panel, Device Manager, and verified status of both
components.  Drivers verified loaded.
Exit Control Panel.
Open My Computer and verified directory D= CDR,  E=CDR-W
Installed Roxio and rebooted (I believe rebooting at this point was
unnecessary but just wanted to make sure everything's loaded right.)
After rebooting, went straight to Roxio's "Easy CD Creator/Select A Project"
screen and clicked on "Copy CD."
Loaded a music CD on "D" and a blank recordable CD on "E"  (this was my
testing process to verify that both CDR and CDR-W are working properly.)
Both components work...

I hope this works for you.  The PCBuild experts (my main source of info)
might have simpler methods in solving your problem.

I tried not to describe here every single detail when I did the above steps.
I am assuming you know enough about Win2K manipulation.  Above steps
described must be pretty elementary to our PCBuild experts but this is where
I learned the steps from.  Kind'a like sharing and giving back?  Good luck!

Emie DelRosario

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com