From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:01:50 -0700
Jack, it's connected to the end.  The connection for the B drive won't fit
the A drive anyway.  I am going to unplug my "D" drive, and plug a different
pigtail into the A to see if that works.  If it doesn't, I have no idea what
could possibly be wrong.  I wish there were an error message of some kind to
give me a starting point.  It's hard to diagnose when it works, then it
doesn't, and there are no error messages.  The A drive has to be the most
basic uncomplicated thing on this computer. Joel

joel:

Just a thought. Since you've tried everything else, is the floppy drive
connected to the end connection of the controller cable, not the middle
one? Many floppy cables have a conector in the middle of the cable with a
twisted pair of wires for a second floppy, the "B" drive. The "a" drive
floppy usually won't operate from the middle connection.

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 20:01:32 -0700 "Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Larry,
> I didn't think about the power thing, but I can't use a different
> pigtail
> because there is only one with the floppy plug on it.  I could plug
> different pigtail into the CD-RW, whose plug the floppy plug comes
> from.
> I'll try that one.  I can't test the floppy in DOS because it won't
> run.  I
> tried to boot from the Win 98 start up disk, but it didn't even show
> up
> during the boot.  I know Windows sees this drive, as does the BIOS.
> When
> Windows doesn't see a drive I can't see it in Powerdesk 4.  I can
> see it in
> Powerdesk and in my computer, so I know the mobo is not dead.  The
> power
> supply thing seems like a longshot, but since there is little left,
> I'll try
> that next. Thanks, Joel

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml