Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:18:54 -0500
Hi Deb,

In your present situation you should be able to completely shutdown by
pressing and holding the power button for 4-5 seconds when the "It is now
safe to turn off your computer" screen appears. This power down problem can
occur when your computer's BIOS is set for Advanced Power Management (APM).
By default, this feature is not enabled in Windows XP. To resolve this issue
go to Start \ Control Panel \ Performance and Maintenance \ Power Options.
Then click the "APM" tab and check the "Enable Advanced Power Management
Support" check box, and then click "OK". (If the system had an ACPI
(Advanced Configuration Power Interface) compliant BIOS, you wouldn't see an
APM tab.)

If this doesn't resolve the issue, check these two sites for other possible
causes and suggested solutions:

TweakXP.com - If Your System Won't Shut Down Properly:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article36963.aspx

Eradicate Windows XP shutdown problems: ZDNet Australia: Insight:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/0,39023731,20268698,00.htm

Sven Swanson, Sr.