From:
Will Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 10:21:42 -0500
Hello!

I am working with a client who is having an issue with slow network
printing. The network is peer to peer, mostly Win2k machines (one XP Pro
machine). The two network printers are HP Jet direct printers. The problem
is this: printing to the HPs through their assigned IP addresses (with Jet
Direct) is almost always a time consuming process. It prints a page, it
waits for maybe 12 seconds, prints the next page, waits, and so on.

Due to the need to print from a DOS program <sigh>, one of the HPs is
connected directly to one of the computers. If that path is used for a
network print job (through the computer), the process works fine.

Lastly, the printing problem seems to revolve around a custom built
Microsoft Fox application: the data resides on a "server" and is accessed by
the Fox program running on the client machines. I would blame the Fox
program, but since the problem started only a few days ago, and no updates
to the Fox program happened recently, I am discounting that. A quick test
seemed to indicate that other programs print fine through the network.
Although, I do note this same problem on my home network with MS Word...

If anyone has had some experience with this problem, I would be most
appreciative of any input. Further, what basic printer settings are
appropriate for an independent printer on a peer to peer network - such as
spool settings, port settings, etc.

Thank you all very much!

Will Stephenson
Acadia Technologies Inc.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The obvious is never obvious until someone tells you.