From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:55:22 -0400
Michael,

Which one of us do you want to send it?  Making a request like this to the
list *could* result in your receiving several thousand copies of the post.
Not a good idea.

In the future, I suggest you request a copy of the message from the
listserver.

There is a two step process to retrieve a past message from *ANY*
listserver.

First you must search for the message(s) that you want.
Send a message to the listSERVER (not the list) and in the text of the
message write:
  SEARCH LISTNAME a list of words or a remembered phrase from the message.
in this case, the command would look like this:
       TO: [log in to unmask]
  SUBJECT: listserver command
BODY/TEXT:  SEARCH PCBUILD celeron DX/SX

Soon the server will send a message back listing all the posts that contain
your search words/phrase.   Like this:
> search pcbuild dx/sx
-> 3 matches.

Item #   Date   Time  Recs   Subject
------   ----   ----  ----   -------
004771 98/08/26 13:52   85   Re: Celeron
004775 98/08/26 15:46   64   Re: Celeron
004779 98/08/25 21:39   32   Please help with deleted posting!!

The message will continue with an brief excerpt from each of the posts which
will help you narrow down your choices.

++++++

Now on to step two.

Once you have found the message (or messages) that you want, send another
command to the listserver requesting it to send those messages to you.

The format of the command is:
  GETPOST listname item# item# item#
or in this case:
       TO: [log in to unmask]
     SUBJ: listserver command
BODY/TEXT: GETPOST PCBUILD 4771 4779

notice that the item numbers do not have to be in order or consecutive and
that all leading zeroes are removed.  You can request as many items as you
want with a single command, but I advise not stringing the numbers so far
out that they word-wrap to a second line.  Just create a second command
within the same message if you need more items.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting     Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol   International Webmasters Association
=====