From:
Bruce Boschek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:26:00 +0100
Hello Max and Fellow Listers,

In <[log in to unmask]>, on 06/05/99
   at 06:24 PM, Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]> said:

>  I'm looking for simple inkjet, with typical work resolution of 360
>dpi and occasionally 720 dpi printing. That's as good as I want to go.
>  I expect to print up to 150 pages a month - hardly a heavy-duty
>job... I want either an Epson or a HP. Which model(s) would you
>recommend? Is there anything I have to know if I decide to pick the
>right model myself?

We have a number of both of these brands. Both work well, with certain
reservations (see below). For "photo" quality, Epson has been hard to
beat, although I must admit that we have not yet used the new photo
quality HPs. In our experience, the inexpensive HPs appear flimsy and
somewhat primitive, but they print text well and seem to endure even
rough mistreatment. The only exception is the very inexpensive Deskjet
400, which suffers a very poor reputation because of electronic failure.

The lower-priced Epsons (700 and below) have a more sturdy appearance
and "feel," print well, but have all failed after only short usage (2
mos, less than 500 pages). Every one of the 8 Epson 700s we have had to
be returned for repairs, some of them more than once. These printers
have not been mistreated or used heavily. Most of them succumbed to
"toothless plastic-gear disease." One or two had electronic (parallel
port interface) failures. One repeatedly printed text fine, but failed
to print graphics. In all cases, Epson service repaired them under
guarantee in only a short time, but we had to bring them to the service
depot for repair and pick them up again, which is troublesome. I would
be very interested to hear whether other Epson 700 users have had this
experience. In any case, I cannot recommend the lower-priced Epson
printers.

On the other hand, the somewhat more expensive Epson 850s are completely
reliable workhorses that print high quality (1440dpi) photos and text
well. We have had no trouble with these at all. They really provide a
lot of printer for the dollar. Epson drivers are quite variable in
quality, but they are often updated and the Win9x drivers for the 850
are flexible and reliable.

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Bruce