From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 08:44:59 -0500
At 10:30 PM 3/29/1998 Larry Fisk wrote:

> Working on a Packard Bell model PB410a, it's a 486SX Win 3.1
> Client wants 8 mb more ram installed.
> I tried a stick of EDO (16mb) and it wouldn't boot.
>
>  Do I need parity ram?
> Would nonparity keep it from booting?
>
> The way the simms slot is at an angle
> I have to use 72 pin simms with chips on one side only.
> Packard Bell seems to indicate that this machine uses
> EDO.

Larry:

Perhaps you need to use Fast Page Memory. Many
times a computer system won't let you mix RAM types.

Try the EDO by itself (if possible); if it works, you know
the existing RAM isn't compatible with the EDO. If it
doesn't work, then try a Fast Page SIMM (of your own).

If that doesn't work, yes, then try a true parity FP SIMM.

The manual doesn't tell you what RAM you can add?
Also check to see if 8MB SIMMs are even acceptable
(I had an old Gateway 486 that didn't accept 8MB SIMMs
but saw them as 4MB SIMMs).

Regards,

John