From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:11:07 -0700
  The duplication of some 486 substructures in the Pentium line is
significantly less than an entire core.  A dual-core chip more closely
resembles one of the dual-CPU rigs of Pentium Pro and Pentium II vintage.

  It seems to me that Intel did not introduce hyperthreading until sometime
after it had dropped multi-CPU support from its standard models, and I
suspect that combining these two features in a single family is a dauntingly
complex problem which may not yet have a solution.

David Gillett

Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> The more I learn the more I get confused. From Intel specs I find that the
> Pentium D is a dual core processor but does not support Hyper-threading. Is
> this because Intel has not yet created a dual core version that does include
> Hyper-threading, or is there something inherent to the design to preclude
> this?
>
> Another related question to pose. The Pentium itself can be thought of as a
> dual core 486. Does this mean that the Pentium D is really something similar
> to a quad core 486? (I do realize that the Pentium core has a lot of improved
> technology over the 486)
>

> Peter

>         The NOSPIN Group has added a new feature on our website,
>            web based bulletinboard for questions and answers:
>               Visit our sister website at http://nospin.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml