Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:00:25 -0700
I had this exact same problem when I recently built a new computer. I tried
all the diagnostics, etc. that you have tried with the same results. I
finally found that the wiring of the cable between the new CD ROM and the
new sound card was improperly wired. The left channel was wired to ground. I
replaced the cable and everything now works as it is supposed to work when
playing audio from a CD.

I hope this helps. The solution was cheap in dollars but costly in
diagnostic time.

Tom Mayer