From:
Louise Gainor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:08:33 -0400
It sounds to me like your power supply is okay. You should always have the
power cord plugged into the wall when working inside the PC case, the ground
prong on the power cord provides ground to keep you from getting the little
tingle.....

If your computer will post, but not boot into the OS, go into setup and see
if your hard drive is detected before you go buying a power supply.  If your
hard drive is shot, there's no point.

Also, try pulling all of your cards (modem, NIC, sound cards, etc,.)
out, and boot the computer.  If it will post, then shutdown and add another
card back into the system and boot again.  It may be that one of the cards
is fried and is preventing the computer from booting.  Reinstalling each
card and seeing if the computer will reboot will tell you which card is
malfunctioning.

Usually when I have customers who have had their systems damaged in an
electrical storm, I check the diodes inside the monitor.  There is a full
wave rectifier (four diodes aligned side by side) and usually one of those
diodes will blow before the power supply.  Sometimes there is a fuse in
there too.  You can find the diodes and any fuse cases on the circuit card
right where the power cord comes into the monitor.

You can desolder any diodes that look frazzled and take them to your nearest
Radio Shack or other electronics parts retailer and they should have
replacements for cheap, same goes for the fuse.

Good luck!