Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:39:54 -0500
I don't know if my problem is hardware or software so pardon me for putting
it here.
I recently added an expansion to a game I play a lot.
I don't know if my problem is hardware or software so pardon me for putting
it here.
My computer started "loosing" my DVD and CD-R/RW roms at unexpected times.
If I tried to use the start/restart or start/shutdown commands My system
would not re-acquire the two roms. But if I turned off the system by using
the power button
  it would re-acquire both. It also started to hard lock 2 to 10 minutes
after I turned it off and on.
So, OK, it is the game. Nope. I tried un-installing the game, didn't work.
So after many hours on the web I finally bit the bullet and did a system
restore that should have restored my computer to the factory settings. Nope
still got both problems.
I need suggest
ions as to what to try next or at least a guess whether it is a hardware or
software issue.

My System is:

Compaq 5000V Praserio
Athlon 1.0 gig processor
128 mb ram
40 gig hard drive
Phillips CD-R/RW rom
DVD rom(sorry don't remember make and model)
ATI 9200se(?) vidio card
Generic sound card
All drivers have been updated and certified by Microsoft

An idiot studying to be a moron and getting straight "A's"!
Thanks
William Carter