From:
Rick Swartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:35:32 +0100
On Sunday, November 29, 1998 7:26 PM Sami Al-Mohssen wrote:

>They are telling me that a CPU can be overclocked from 300MHZ to to
>450MHZ. how's this possible? i really am interested in their product but
>i'm not sure that my motherboard will allow my 300 MHZ to be overclocked
>to 450MHZ. i dont think the machine will power on.

Hi Sami,

The Genesys Company in Italy sell the same sort of set-up. They use 300'er
P2s and mask the B21 pin. The CPU will actually be faster than a 450 P2,
this is because Intel slows down the access time to the L2 cache chips on
the 450 P2s to make sure they work reliably at this speed. This is one of
the main problems, The refridge-units are normal 300'er P2s with cache-chips
that have an access time of 5 ns. The Intel 450 P2 uses a 4.4 ns cache, and
also has a flip-chip housing for better heat dissipation. Besides that,
Intel cools the cache chips as well. I think you can see the difference
here. One can imagine that the overclocked units won't work reliably over
longer periods of time, and indeed in long term tests (> 24 h) they have
been shown to be highly unstable. You wouldn't want to be using these things
in a server, but at home with only hourly use, they might have their merit.
The only reason Intel hasn't come down on these people like a ton of bricks
is because they officially only sell the cooling units (as was already
pointed out by David Gabler). My PERSONAL opinion is: Hands off!

Rick Swartz ([log in to unmask])
http://www.uuhome.de/richard.swartz
PC-Support  Emission-Monitoring (Air)
BASF