From:
Barry Keith Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 06:23:53 -0500
On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:30:52 -0400, Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It just becomes a question of substitution.  You need to pull the drives
>out and bread board them so you can pull the sound cables and
>try the different sound card inputs with each drive and localize the
>problem to wires, CD drives, or the sound card.
>If it turns out the sound card input you just started using (if I read
>this correctly) is bad or distorted, there are special mixer cords
>available that join two CD-Rom drive sound outputs into one
>sound card input.  http://www.cyberguys.com/ and Microcenter
>have them for around $10(US).
>
>I have sound cards with up to 3 stereo input channels, so I would
>think the sound card would/(should) work "as is"...
>                            Rick Glazier

The simplest way to cure the problem is to activate one of the auxilliary
inputs and connect your second CD drive to it. All you need to do is right
click on the speaker icon in the system tray and select 'open volume control',
this will bring up a panel with all the volume sliders that are currently
active. Select 'Options, Properties' and you will be presented with a list of
available controls, the ticked ones are active so  go down the list
to 'Auxilliary 1 or 2' and tick the box, click OK and you will see the new
slider has been added to the rest. All you need to do is connect the audio lead
to the appropriate connector on the sound card and set the level to get similar
volume to the other channels.
Hope this helps.