From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:52:27 -0800
On 16 Mar 2006 at 11:38, Jose Louies wrote:

> Hi all ,
>
> It is a simple question  to answer .
>
> I want to password protect all the contents of  some folder in my computer -
> OS -  Windows XP  SP -2  File system  : NTFS5
> Any help
>
> Jose

  Win 9x attempted to protect "shares" with passwords (not very well).  XP,
though, like NT and 2K, takes the more industry-conventional approach of
using passwords to verify user accounts, and then (IF your drive is
formatted using NTFS instead of FAT32!) associating access permissions with
various user accounts.  Your best option is probably to find some way to get
this approach to meet your actual security needs.

  There are various third-party utilities out there which do something like
what you want.  Probably the simplest is to wrap each file/folder in a
passworded .zip file.  Note that there's probably no good way to do this
with individual data files that are used by an application....

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml