From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:02:29 -0400
The safe mode mouse driver is not the same as the normal mode driver.  Go
into safe mode, open device manager and delete the mouse driver.  This will
not interfere with safe mode.  Restart into normal mode, and if the mouse is
not auto-detected, run the new hardware wizard.  If the mouse comes with
drivers for third buttons or wheels, have that handy, else the driver
shipped on the windows cd will install.
I too have had this problem and this is how I fixed it permanently.
Tom Turak