From:
Bill Nussbaumer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 10:10:29 -0400
One important consideration here is the number of drives actually out
there.  I did a quick look for hard drive sales statistics on the web but
didn't see anything.  I know that both Western Digital and Maxtor
distribute drives in retail stores such as CompUSA and Best Buy.  This must
give them a huge advantage in market penetration over many of the other
drive manufacturers.  It would be hard to say that Western Digital drives
are more or less reliable than others based on your metric.  Perhaps you
replace more Western Digital drives because there are more out
there.  Perhaps not.  Does anyone in the group know where to find such
statistics?

Bill Nussbaumer

At 11:26 AM 9/15/00 -0400, you wrote:
>         Of all the components that I replace for people, Western Digital hard
>drives seem to be what I replace most often. I thought they made good hard
>drives, but now I'm starting to wonder. I have probably installed 150 WD
>hard drives in the past three years, and have replaced about a dozen (not
>all of them were ones that I installed)
>         Has anyone had better luck with another brand?
>

>       Elizabeth Boston

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions