From:
Brad Boutwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:44:09 -0500
Just thought I would throw in a few opinions about the video you mentioned:

I am returning a TNT2 Ultra board today because the ABSOLUTE nominal
increase in performance from my TNT is not worth the $250 it costs.  Note
that I am talking about speed/quality to the naked eye, not benchmarks.  I
have a P!!! 450 with 128 MB RAM and can not tell the difference between the
TNT and TNT2 Ultra playing several games (Half-Life, Quake 2 & 3test, Star
Wars Phantom Menace, etc...) at 1024 x 768 @ 32 bit color (when possible).
You can get an OEM TNBT card online for around $70.  Check out www.mwave.com

As for the Voodoo 3 200, it is a GREAT 2d card.   I run my second monitor
off of one and it DOES have the best 2d available in a non-professional
card.  It rivals my 48MB+32MB board at work in 2d speed/quality...and it's
drivers are optimized for 3d NOW also, which gives it an edge over the TNT
in games, but only on a K63 system...

Brad Boutwell
BDB Design
Tulsa, OK

****************
A few opinions - KIII 450 should be good and fast (especially if not being
used for gaming).  I would recommend a FIC board rather than the ASUS
though.  The ASUS uses the ALI chipset which in some cases has had
compatibility problems with AGP cards.  By all means upgrade to at least 64
MB RAM as well.  I know we all think of these things as gaming cards, but
the VOODOO3 2000 card is a VERY good 2D card (probably the fastest non
professional card available today) and is widely available with 16 MB for
less than $129.00.  PLUS the Voodoo based cards have demonstrated the best
compatibility with Super7 boards for the AMD chips, which you mentioned as
important.  The TNT based cards have had some difficulties.  If you're not
into gaming (or serious 3D) the standard TNT (Viper 550 or Blaster TNT) with
16 MB will be about half the price of the V770 and probably give you all the
performance you need. Good Luck and Have FUN!

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>