From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 20:51:42 -0700
Mostly tweaking a connection involves some registry settings in Windows.
You can try iSpeed, a free tweaker available at this URL: www.hms.com, or
you can try www.speedguide.com.  These make changes in your registry to
Windows default settings for Maximum Transmission Units (MTU),
ReceiveWindows (RWin), Time To Live (TTL), and some other settings.  They
have buttons for restoring defaults.  However, your connection speed is
often due to poor phone lines.  I had a 56K internal modem that could not
connect above 26.4K.  With tweaking I could sometimes get 31.6K, but I did a
line test from 3com that told me my phone lines sucked.  I now have a cable
modem connection and routinely get 2.5 Mbps, and have reached 4.2 Mbps at
night. I could never go back to a dialup no matter how good it was.

Subject: [PCBUILD] Improving Performance Of Modem

Firstly, thanks to all who have replied to my problem with my modem.

I have bought a new modem, an Aztech external V90. There is no problem with
my using to surf the internet. However, it seems to be slower than my old
modem.

Do any of you have any tips/tweaks on how to improve the performance of a
modem?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml